Medford, NJ dentist Dr. Poorva Parnaik reminds her patients that oral health care is an important part of overall health. Poor oral health can have a huge negative impact on your daily quality of life. Since June is Oral Health month, now is a great time to consider the state of your oral health!
Good oral health benefits not only your smile, but also your overall quality of life. From increased self-confidence and overall wellbeing, a healthy smile can truly transform your visual appearance while improving the health of your mouth and body. Teeth and gums have an important role in both dental health and daily living; they help us chew, speak, and give our face its shape. It only makes sense that for a healthy lifestyle, we take extra care of the teeth and gums to maintain the best oral health possible.
To recognize Oral Health Month, Dr. Parnaik has put together a list of tips to help you maintain great oral health for a lifetime!
Caring for Your Teeth
- Brushing your teeth at least twice a day, including once right before bed
- Using a toothpaste that contains fluoride to help strengthen tooth enamel
- Changing your toothbrush regularly helps in cleaning the teeth properly
- Make sure to clean the surface of your tongue to remove bacteria
- Remove food particles that are left behind from brushing by flossing once a day
Diet and Your Oral Health
- Consume calcium, such as milk and cheese, to help maintain your teeth’s enamel
- Limit soda, coffee, and red wine which can stain the teeth
- Be aware that foods such as pasta sauce and berries can also color your teeth
- Enjoy your favorite sweet foods and drinks, but remember that brushing your teeth or rinsing with water after eating can help maintain the health of your smile
Visiting Your Dentist
- Visit Dr. Parnaik at least twice per year, or as often as is recommended for your unique dental health
- Routine dental visits give you a professional dental cleaning which is more thorough than your daily brushing at home
- By visiting the dentist regularly, our staff will be able to detect any oral health concerns early and offer conservative treatment
- Dr. Parnaik is able to recommend specific at-home procedures that increase your personal oral health
Maintaining a general level of oral health is a fairly simple task, yet many lack these day-to-day routines. The consequences of minimal oral health care and a lack of routine dentistry can lead to declining oral health as problems such as tooth decay and gum disease develop. Restoring dental health may require expensive treatments.
Been away from the dentist or suffering with a fear of visiting the dentist? Dr. Parnaik works with patients who desire to restore their smile but experience dental anxiety. Contact our office to schedule a consultation and begin your journey back to a healthy, comfortable smile.