Many patients who experience frequent headaches, neck or ear pain and tightness in the jaw do not realize that these are common symptoms of bruxism, commonly know as teeth grinding. Teeth grinding typically occurs during sleep, leaving patients with the symptoms mentioned upon waking. Bruxism is also a common sign of a temporomandibular disorder (TMD) and the result of an imbalance in the bite.
Teeth grinding, when left untreated, can lead to more complex dental health problems, including tooth loss.
Dr. Poorva Parnaik, DMD, the dentist at Dental Creations in Medford, NJ, will perform a thorough examination of a patient’s teeth, gums and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) to look for signs of teeth grinding:
- Worn teeth, small chips and flat surfaces
- Worn or dull tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Headache and/or facial pain
Dr. Parnaik will take the time to properly diagnose the cause of the tooth grinding in order to ensure that a treatment plan is successful and long lasting. Dr. Parnaik offers several treatment options for her patients at Dental Creations, depending on the condition of their dental health:
- Splint therapy or night guard: using oral appliance therapy, Dr. Parnaik can offer relief from tooth grinding for many patients with this conservative treatment.
- Orthodontics: Dr. Parnaik may recommend orthodontic treatment to realign the bite. Dr. Parnaik is an Invisalign provider and offers the often preferred clear braces to her patients when necessary for treatment.
- Restorative dentistry: Dr. Parnaik may recommend a restorative procedure to reshape the teeth in order to realign the bite and prevent teeth grinding.
If you have been suffering with recurring headaches that have been undiagnosed, contact Dr. Parnaik at Dental Creations in Medford to schedule a consultation.