Gum disease will affect approximately 75% of adults at some point in their lives. In many cases it can be caught and treated early by your dentist, avoiding the need for extensive , and often expensive, dental treatments. At Dental Creations, Dr. Poorva Parnaik, DMD, encourages her Medford area dental patients to establish good oral hygiene habits, including regular preventive care, to prevent the onset or progression of gum disease.
Signs and symptoms of gum disease:
- Red, swollen or sore gums
- Bleeding when brushing, flossing or eating
- Receding gums
- Loose teeth
- Pus between gums and teeth
- Sores in the mouth
- Halitosis (bad breath)
- Changes in the occlusion (bite) including changes in the fit of dentures
There are many factors that can contribute to the development of gum disease, including poor dental hygiene, and Dr. Parnaik offers several treatments, depending on a patient’s dental health condition:
- Regular and deep tooth cleaning: the staff at Dental Creations perform thorough cleanings during regular dental visits to remove plaque which can develop into gum disease.
- Antibacterial mouth rinse: Dr. Parnaik may recommend this type of rinse to reduce bacteria in the mouth.
- Periodontal therapy: this may include procedures such as scaling and root planing to remove plaque from all surfaces and restore the gums to health.
- Laser dentistry: laser dentistry can be used to treat infected gum tissue without surgery.
Gum disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss- which can lead to more complex dental problems that may require extensive restorative treatment. If you have experienced any of the symptoms mentioned above, contact Dr. Parnaik at Dental Creations in Medford to schedule a consultation.